Internship postings are now available on our careers page.
Looking for an internship in public radio? Chicago Public Media offers internships with a focus on radio production and journalism. Be an intern on our show Sound Opinions, learn how to research and prescreen guests on Vocalo or Afternoon Shift.
Chicago Public Media offers internships at our location in downtown Chicago. Interns have an opportunity to learn about various aspects of Chicago Public Media while gaining hands-on experience in their chosen area of focus.
Interns learn a variety of skills including:
- writing for newscasts
- researching story ideas
- digital audio editing
- booking guests
- field reporting
- call screening for talk shows
- studio operation
Our internships are primarily focused on providing exposure to radio journalism and radio production for live talk shows. As part of the learning experience, interns attend workshops lead by experienced staff members.
Our program is open to college students and recent graduates. Members of minority groups are encouraged to apply.
Interns must be authrorized to work in the United States without sponsorship.
We do not have internships available on evenings or weekends.
How to Apply:
Once you’ve made the decision to apply for a particular internship, we have posted instructions to help ensure your application is processed correctly.
- Information on how to apply for the Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! internship can be found here.
- Information on how to apply for the This American Life internship can be found here.
- Internships are intended as a learning experience and a supplement to formal education not as a replacment.
- College students should inquire at their schools' career services or internship departments about receiving credit for participating in our internship program
- We are not able to provide housing location assistance for out-of-state applicants.
- Chicago Public Media reserves the right to terminate any internship at any time for any cause.